Thursday, October 14, 2010

Remember the post "What's inside a $3000 doll?"

I am a member of Doll Fan, a doll lovers forum. The other day, one of the members there posted a great topic...she is a woman after my own heart!

It is about what she found in two dolls that she took apart to re-weight. It is my understanding that these dolls were reborn in the last year. Her point in the post is to call ALL reborners to a higher standard in all aspects of the art of the reborn doll. Remember that was my goal when I posted about what I found in a 2009 reborn that sold for $3000 on eBay. Click below for the post and feel free to read all comments. Doll Fan is a public forum and anyone can browse at any time. Members get to post.

~It's not Okay~

The only thing I disagree with in this post is the use of vinyl gloves in the body of the doll. I've used vinyl gloves since late 2005 without ONE problem. They are clean and contain the glass beads better than nylons, even double layered nylons. Recently a customer of mine wanted her 2006 reborn that I custom made for her switched from 1/4 limbs to full limbs so of course, that meant taking the doll apart. There was the vinyl glove~in tact and in perfect condition, doing it's job containing the tiny glass beads.

Some of the ladies posting talk about "powdery" glass beads. I do not know what those are but I've heard about them. For the record, the granulated glass beads I use are not powdery at all. In fact, when spilled on the table, the roll, just like micro-marbles! I can't SEE that they are micro-marbles when I look at them in the container they are kept in as they are so tiny but they do roll like them when on the table! And not a trace of powder.

My schedule changed this week due to my husbands work schedule change. We are now working 5-8 hr days as apposed to the 4-10 hour days that we did in the summer. Both of us are having a difficult transition but by the end of next week, we will have it down pat! (of course any of you that know me know that my day does not stop at 8 hours and I use the extra evening hours to root and process hair)

Have a terrific Thursday!

4 comments:

  1. Debbie, I think the powdery glass "bead" would more accurately be described as silica. It is very different from glass bead & is quite dangerous. It is so light that it can easily be inhaled & can cause pneumonia. No one should use it, EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ew, ew EWW to that post! Sad to say I´ve experienced that myself. My poor dollies!

    The only thing I did wrong with my first couple of reborns, was that I didn´t know it was a no-no to not seal the limbs. But it took zero training or tutorials to realize not to put dirty sand or something hard inside a reborn.

    Silly people....or greedy, un-caring, selfish. :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where do you get your glass beads???
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh Kate! I am so glad to hear somebody finally put a name to this mystery powdery "glass"! Ladies have talked about being concerned for their health in regards to these powdery beads and I just could not figure out how glass could be powdery. Thanks for the info!!

    I am going to put it out here the the maker of the $3000 reborn ARGUED with the customer about her "just fine" reborn practices. I find that to be SO incredible! The artist won't be selling that customer another $3000 reborn doll...or any doll. She has lost her for life.

    SueAnn, I get them at United Western. I buy the grade "B" beads. Others get them at Harbor Freight. Do a google search to find them in you area. Oh and CR Crafts has them by the pound too. I've bought them in a pinch before as my United Western warehouse is 5 hours away and I could not make it to them at the time.

    ReplyDelete