Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Ultra Matte Gel test starts today


I am trying a new product made by Liquitex.

It is an "Ultra" Matte Gel medium to be mixed right in with acrylic paints which is what the LDC paints are.

I do believe in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" saying and it applies to my LDC paints and LDC retarder. I am very happy with them. The part that is broke is the Genesis Matte Varnish (although Genesis is working on the problem) which I prime my doll kits with.

But I have another problem that is pending. I'm doing a custom portrait order and using a Linde Scherer sculpt called Rieke.

Oh my. I would not have selected this sculpt had I known the color of the vinyl!
ACK! It is dark browny-orange and the portrait baby is fair skinned!

That in itself will be a challenge but the thing I was most concerned about was using the Genesis Matte Varnish on this older, made in China kit. The vinyl is already very matte (and opaque! Double ACK!) and "stiffer" if that makes any sense. Applying matte varnish and baking this type of vinyl makes the vinyl very rough and hard.

So I want to avoid that.

One thing that I like about the Ultra Matte Gel medium is that is it semi-opaque. My thinking is that it will help me to neutralized that opaque yucky color vinyl better than I can with the LDC retarder which is very translucent.

But...before I go applying this new medium to a custom portrait kit, I need to test it some more. I was testing it on a Doll Dreams German vinyl limb but after a few layers, it became shiny. I can't have shine.

I've prepped a 1/4 limb Berenguer doll that I've been saving for myself. This baby will be a good trial for the new medium as the vinyl, although lighter in color, is similar in texture. And I will be keeping this doll so I can watch the paint over time.

The adventure begins....


No comments:

Post a Comment