Monday, January 9, 2012

Mixing the Ultra Matte Gel and LDC paints





It occurred to me that I've not really given very clear instructions on how to mix and use the Ultra Matte Gel with the LDC paints so here is a mini tutorial:

Mixing a blush color that I call burnt orange/red. I have used this color as my second blush on Billy, the reborn I am making as I try out the Ultra Matte Gel with the LDC paints.

Using a craft stick, place a dime sized portion of red paint into a one ounce jar:


With a toothpick, add a touch or two of brown (I actually added more brown than is shown here as I mixed to get the color I was looking for) As you can see, my brown color is marked "new brown" because I still have an old jar of the first brown that LDC came out with. That brown was more purple and I love it for nail beds! It's no longer available so I treasure that jar of "old brown".

With another craft stick, add a good sized blog of the Ultra Matte Gel. I am using about as much gel as my total paint:

Mix this well before adding the water. You an add water before mixing but it does not blend as well and takes longer to stir:

Using an eye dropper, fill the jar up to 1/4 full with water. This is less water than I use with the LDC paints and LDC retarder. Usually I fill the jar 1/2 full with the LDC retarder.
I want my paints thick in my jar as to not dilute the pigments. I can add water later to my pallet.



The paint on my pallet is a bit thick/rich. It's been lingering on the side of the plate too long:

I've added about 5 drops of water and it's just right. The way to test the "just right" is by applying it to the back of your reborns head to test it. This way, if it dries too fast and makes a mess, it will be covered up with hair later and your doll will just have an extra blushy spot under the hair:
I have applied all my colors in the same fashion that I always do, using a combination of sponges and brushes.

And here is how Billy is looking after all his coloring is done:




He is still sheeny/shiny in some places so today I am going to go over all his parts with full strength Ultra Matte Gel applied with a wedge and pounced in with clean wedges.

I've talked myself out of doing the custom portrait doll using the new gel and then I talked myself back into it after doing a little test on that vinyl yesterday. The vinyl on the Linde Scherer kit is very rubbery and I was concerned on how the paint would adhere without the Genesis Matte Varnish applied first. Upon the test, I like how it went on so I'll do the brows and nail bed textured with the Genesis Matte Varnish and then carry on with the UMG/LDC mixture.

I'm back to my wild days again as I process mohair and birth babies.
Does anyone have a maid I could borrow???

Happy day to you!



No comments:

Post a Comment