Monday, January 23, 2012

My guys did a crazy race!

The Wilson Creek 50K Frozen ultra trail race was an experience!
Both my husband and son have either competed in Marathons (26..2 miles) or just gone out on their own and ran this long. Neither of them expected the trials that were found on the trail of the Wilson Creek 50K (31 miles).

They began early in the morning...in the dark.


The tiny lights you see is the line of runners going up the trail into the dark:


Pictures on the trail. They expected mud but not this much mud and not such sticky, icky mud! This mud had a clay base and just stuck to everything. I know, I helped with the dirty clothes and shoes and oh my...that mud stuck to anything it came into contact with and it did not just rinse off. It had to be scrubbed! This part of the course was 20 miles and most of it was like this:

The 31 mile race started with a 20 mile loop. Here are my guys coming inn from that first 20 miles:

My husband coming in:

My son:

At that point they had the option of being done at 20 miles or continuing onto the final 11 mile loop. They decided that they had enough fun for one day! My son's knee was blown out so going another 11 in the mud was not an option for him.

Even after more than 6 hours in the mud, my DH is still smiling!

The back of my son's legs:
They felt a little defeated until they heard from many other runners~runners who do this kind of event on a regular basis~of how overpowering the Wilson Creek race was.

Here is a great report from a running blogger:

~A racing bloggers view~

I'm very proud of them for completing the 20 miles in that goo. Atta boys!

(I'm leaving for Florida in the morning!!! Whooo!)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Debbie! I know you're so proud of your guys! That was some challenge! That run will make for some great memories. I hope you're all staying warm up there in Oregon. We need rain down here in Chandler, Az. XOXOX Debra

    ReplyDelete