Sunday, January 8, 2012

They tell me this is not normal

Yesterday my family and horses spent the afternoon surrounded by our horse loving friends who told me that they have NEVER been to, or thrown, a birthday party for a horse. They say it's not been a common or "NORMAL" thing in their lives.

WHAT??? Huh, how odd! LOL

I have to admit that this is the first horse party we have had where we invited guests and decorated the round pen with helium balloons, but we do have horse birthday parties.

But this was a very special event because my horse, Toby, has turned 30 years old. Although horses do live to be into their 30's, it's more common that they pass in their mid 20's.

My Toby has been my best friend. He has always been patient, kind and gentle. He has heart and strength, and he will protect me at all times. I almost lost him in 2007 to colic. But once again, he endured through it with heart and strength. It was then and after last winter when he did not winter very well due to a miscalculation in our feeding amount that I determined to have a real birthday party for him when he turned 30.

Here is the beloved birthday boy all decked out for his party:


Is that hat not just the greatest??? It's actually a pinata I found at WalMart! I simply cut the bottom out of it and attached festive birthday ribbon~perfect!

I put helium balloons around the round pen, a birthday banner on the round pen gate and made him a special horse birthday cake that he could share with his pasture pals.

Guests brought gifts and Toby's vet sent him a gift and card in the mail.


With the video camera running, we all sang happy birthday. There were 11 people present.

Then we directed them to eat the cake:

Ohhh...they loved it!
From L-R are Ruger, Toby and Scout.

Here I am with my best boy!

And of course look who else showed up! Matthew!
Matthew loves Toby as much as I do and his face shows his excitement to be on Toby's back on his 30th birthday!

Matthew got down to wish Toby a very happy birthday...

pat his warm muzzle....

And give him a kiss. Awe!
Toby looks as if he is saying, "Awe gawsh, the boy loves me!"

I made a Toby look-a-like cupcake cake for our guests and served peppermint hot cocoa.

After the guests left, Toby got down in the dirt and rolled....GLORIOUS!

What a great, GREAT day!
I am so thankful for our friends coming out in the cold to celebrate this special horse on his special day. XXOO

Oh. This is Alan. He is our farrier and has been for a lot of years. Today was the first time he met Matthew~although he has heard a lot about him. He was a bit taken to the little man and there is rumor that Matthew might need to travel around with Alan taking some farrier lessons. I can see it now...a tiny anvil, a tiny hammer, a tiny baby doll holding up a giant horses foot!


2 comments:

  1. Normal? What is considered by some to be odd, is normal for others. "Normal" is a way life for some of us, and boy d we have fun!! Happy Birthday, Toby!!

    ReplyDelete