Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Rooting Needles

Okay, I am NO expert at rooting needles, in fact, I am still learning all the different kinds myself but lately, through the help of Rachel Maynard in the UK, I finally learned what "crown" needle is! Back to that in just a moment...

Up until now, my needle of choice has been the 42 gauge FELTING needle from Bountiful Baby.

~Bountiful Baby Website~

I like this needle a lot however, it sometimes will root too many hairs at a time, especially if I am using 1st clip kid hair. This is the order # for the 42 gauge FELTING needle:

#1146 - ONE OUNCE Uncut 42-Gauge Felting Needles for Hair Rooting

I see that now Bountiful baby has 42 gauge German REGULAR needles. The needle above used to be called the REGULAR needle but is now called the FELTING needle.

As I read a recently delivered Discover Dolls Magazine, Rachel Maynard had stated in her portion of a rooting article that she uses a "crown" needle. Well, on all the websites I have looked on, I had never seen a needle advertised as a "crown" needle. Since Rachel's dolls hair simply blows me away, I contacted her.

She told me that she gets her needles from Tinkerbell Creations in the UK. So I went looking on that site. Here's the home page to TC~great website!

~Tinkerbell Creations Website~

While browsing, I found this WONDERFUL piece of information on rooting needles! Thank you Tinkerbell Creations!

Help with choosing needles
38# Fine
40# Very fine
42# Super fine
43# Extremley fine
46# Almost Invisible! ( for Silicone dolls only )
Star.... (the stem is a cross formation with 2 barbs to each face randomly placed = 8 barbs )

Crown ..( the stem is a triangular formation with 3 barbs all at the same level 1/4" from the tip )

Fork.....( Round stem with a groove at the tip )

3 Barb..(Triangular stem formation and randomly placed one barb to each face = 3 barbs )

1 Barb...(Triangular formation and one barb placed 1/4" from the tip = 1 barb )

And there it was....CROWN!

By the description of the "crown" needle, I got to looking at the needles I keep in stock. Huh, the 36 and 38 gauge ULTRA needles that I use for teaching rooting were exactly as described on Tinkerbell Creations as the "crown" needle. I became excited as I also use these needles when I am rooting a harder headed doll and want just a bit more hair. They are super strong and rarely break. (I did have one student who broke several of these~Love you Heather!)

The 42 gauge I had been using, I found out is a "star" needle having EIGHT barbs! No wonder I got too much hair at times! LOL I never knew there were 4 faces to the needles. I was so confused when people would say they have 3 barbs or 8 barbs on their needles as my needles always had 2-4 that I could see.

So I got on the Bountiful Baby website and ordered some German 42 gauge ULTRA needles:

#2853 - One Ounce GERMAN Uncut 42 Gauge ULTRA Needles


Payton has been my first "victim" with the new needle. I desired that she have "just there" hair and this needle helped a lot in that process. I was able to very finely root her.

It seems that the needle may have a "sweet spot" OR the vinyl just was NOT going to take the hair as I had a few areas on her head that just did not want to root. I used my 38G ULTRA needle for those spots and got at least more coverage. I will know more with the next doll I root.

The needle appears to dull easily. I would be hard pressed to break it though.

So this is what I have learned about needles over the past couple of weeks. Again I am no expert and will continue to learn.

Oh and about German FORKED needles? I hate them! I cannot root with those to save my soul!
I use them for piercing my dolls ears~LOL

Have a great day and happy rooting. (I am putting Miss Payton together today!)





3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the info on rooting needles. I had no idea...I will check mine out now and see what I really have!!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you! Will also be
    checking my needles. (You are now MY rooting needle expert, as well as LDC paint expert, stuffing and weighting body expert, etc., etc.!)
    Hugs,
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies.
    Wendy you crack me up and make me smile too :)

    ReplyDelete