Monday, December 28, 2009

Eye Brow Tutorial


Start by mixing the paint colors that will match the color of hair you will be rooting onto your doll. I like to use 2-3 colors and almost always use the fleshy-pink color on the right as my last color....but it just so happened that for this doll, that will be rooted with blonde hair, that I ended up not using the fleshy-pink. (If you have seen any of my painted hair on dolls, you will clearly see this color used as the last color.) I am using the LDC paints over Genesis Matte Varnish on this doll.


Your dolls brow should start just below the brow bone and go up to about half way onto the bone~usually. One of the most common mistakes in reborning is placing the brow too high.

As with most of the dolls that I reborn now, I have created textured brows using Genesis Matte Varnish, a paint brush and a toothpick. Of course the Genesis Matte Varnish is baked on. Side view of the textured brows:

As you can see, the brows are applied nasally towards the ear in a sideways fashion.
Closer view of the textured brow:


It helps to hold the brow closest to the hand that you paint with and also upside down so that you are painting from the bottom of the brow to the top, drawing your brush towards you. (I am left handed)

Place a small amount of paint onto your brush. I like to use a #3 liner brush. Stroke the brush again from the nasal side outwards towards the ear and up slightly.


Continue your strokes until you have reached the outer end of the brow.


Use a toothpick to remove any excess paint and repeat with paint until you are satisfied with the results.


As mentioned, this baby will be blonde so her new color is hard to see (plus I had HORRIBLE lighting when I took these pics~on my own trying to do the work and snap the camera at the same time! LOL)


The textured brow really helps to create a real looking brow on the dolls. It also is a great template to use when painting. The overall look is just fantastic!


Happy brow making!

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow! Thank you so much for sharing this, Debbie! I have certainly learned some techniques it probably would have taken me many tries to think up on my own, so THANK YOU! It makes a lot of sense. I can't wait to get the LDC paints. They just look like they are much better than what I have been using. My attempted brows looked nothing close to this.

    Thanks again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this, I learned so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you sooooo much, this was well taught.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for stopping by the blog :)

      Delete