Monday, July 20, 2009

The reborn doll of 2009 part 2 Painting


When first selecting the base color for my reborn, I evaluate the color of the vinyl. Some vinyls are very pink/red, some are tan, some are a wonderful cream color, some are orange and some are a little gray. I need to choose a color that will compliment the color of the cream color vinyl or a color that will neutralize the other colors of vinyl. A color wheel is very helpful in choosing neutralizing colors. I use the "complimentary" option to help me choose the color needed.

If I am neutralizing the color of the vinyl, I choose a small poured (porous) damp sponge in order to fully coat the vinyl to change the color. (Sponges are fabulous for applying paint to reborn dolls) If I am using a complimentary color to add depth to the vinyl, I choose a large poured damp sponge or one that has "bumps" on it. This step is very important in beginning to create depth to the vinyl. If I have neutralized the vinyl, then I would choose a large poured sponge and a complimenting color to begin creating the depth I speak of. After the application of paint with the sponge, I use a dry make up wedge or a dry paint brush to balance out the color and removing excess.

I work on the lips and nails throughout the entire painting process building layers of different colors to add realism. I also work on other details, such as tear ducts, milk bumps, eye brows, details to the ears (they have veins and life like details too!) and I color the ends of the fingers and toes red during the entire process.

I would now add 1-2 more layers of tones choosing different colors and sponges for application. I am building multi-dimensional depth. This sounds like a fast process, but in reality, it takes quite a long time per layer as I am careful to apply the paint to all the area's of the vinyl such as in between the fingers and toes. Those area's need extra attention with a dry brush to smooth to assure that there are no globs of paints left.

Then the creases and fold are painted using a paint application brush, a dry make up wedge and dry brushes.

The first layer of blush is applied with a sponge and a single color. The second is applied with a mop brush and a second color. The third layer is applied with a different poured sponge and a third color. When I blush a doll, I do not just blush the cheeks and nose. I spend hours building my my blush colors applying them in all the area's that the doll should be blushed. This process also builds on my multi-dimensional tone as well. By now, the "skin" is looking amazing!

With the blush colors and some purple, I am also working on painting little capillaries, stork bites and milk spots.

I tip the nails when I am happy with the nail color.

But the doll needs some life and depth. This is created by using blue and purple undertones but I apply them close to the last layers of paints. I get amazing results this way. I use very thin blue and purple colors and a mop brush to apply and a make up sponge to blend in. I use these colors in what we call the "thin" area's of skin and also over many of the creases and folds, on the fingers and toes and along all the area's that I will add veining.

I apply my veins using a brush and blending in with a make up wedge and a dry brush. Veins are applied all over the doll and sometimes I use a natural sea sponge to add many many little veins in the tops of the legs and arms and on the tops or the hands and feet. My veins are never a solid line, as real veins usually aren't and they appear to be under the skin as they should be even though they are painted so close to the end of the painting process.

I check all details at this time which I have been working on throughout the process and fine tune any that need it.

Then I highlight all the colors I have applied using a light ivory color. This step creates amazing results and glow to the doll. Ivory is great for toning down anything that might be too vivid but in the same sense, it highlights area's such as veins and other small details.

If I want painted hair, I will paint it now using a paint brush. I usually paint hair on most of my dolls heads and then root over that painted hair. I select 3-5 different colors of paint to create a realistic head of painted hair.

Well, whew! Days and hours later, I have a beautiful, realistic painted doll! Her tone is matte and her colors subtle yet created in depth for true skin tone.

Next time, I will share the next steps in the reborn process......the hair!

Have a glorious day!

1 comment:

  1. I am fairly new to the art of reborning, but I must say that your creations are some of the most beautiful and realistic dolls that I have seen yet!! Thank You for sharing you gifts with us!

    ReplyDelete