Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The days are warming up! Reborn hair of 2009 part one

Matthew was in the nursery yesterday afternoon happily chewing on his horsie rattle.....
When he realized just how warm it gets in this room that is in the western part of the house!
So he just rolled over and decided to "chill". He is such a wonderful baby to have in my collection! You will soon learn that this little man is cowboy through and through. He only let me put this summer outfit on because it has a western theme!

***************************************************************************************
The hair of the reborn doll~2009

I mentioned the other day that reborns of 2009 are a lot different than the original reborn dolls. It used to be that the doll was given a more realistic wig~back in the day. And then, someone, who was very brave, wondered what it would be like if hair could be poked into the head of the doll. Felting needles were used.....well, maybe some other items were used as well~I am not sure. OH my! The trials that must have come from those experiments! I would love to know who first rooted a reborn dolls head and how they did it!

In order to root a head back then, one had to first sand the moulded lines from the head. Various methods were used to do this. Today, when I sand a dolls head, I use a dremmel tool first to remove the big grooves, then I use a 3-D sander to smooth the head from the dremmel marks and then I go over the head again with a salon nail polishing block.

I still sand heads on dolls that I desire to reborn but most of my reborns now a days start out as reborn kits that do not have moulded hair.

But the most important aspect of rooting doll heads is the selection of quality hair. Angora mohair (hair from Angora goats) is the most popular and most realistic hair to use on dolls, however, Alpacca hair, human hair and synthetic hair is used as well.

Tomorrow I will tell you educate you about quality angora mohair.

******************************************************************************************
Nursery Notes:

The painting is going very well on the big Arianna baby, custom order, that I am working on. I sent preview pictures to her "mommy" yesterday~she is trilled! I will work on her paint for two more days~if all goes well. One cannot rush the birth of a baby. They just kindof come in their own time! LOL

Regarding angora mohair, I have been so blessed to have found the most amazing raw mohair when I first started reborning. I had to learn how to process it which took about 2 years. Now I do a bang up job and offer it for sale on occassions. Before I go to the nursery to paint, I am headed to the kitchen to finish up a custom order of auburn hair that can be shipped tomorrow.

Happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment