Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Tika will not be going to the trash bin! Oily Secrist reborn

Remember my poor little Tika who I discovered to be all oily?

Well for now, she is oil free and no longer sticky!





I used 91% rubbing alcohol and a hot bubble bath to remove the oil.

I took her apart and discarded the plastic pellets in her limbs and all the weight and stuffing in her head.

I used the 91% alcohol (strongest I could find...use 100% if you can find it) and cotton balls inside and outside of her vinyl.   

I bathed her in a hot Dawn dishsoap bath and let her dry for many days.  

Then I did it all over again.  

I am sure I will have to do it again in the future.  
I had Tika since 2008.  It took 4 yrs for her to get oily...let's hope it takes that long again. 
(Not at all would be better!)

She has a bit of sheen in a few places on her face but they are not as evident as the camera shows.  
I used two different camera's and two different light settings to take her new pictures.  Ethnic babies can be so hard to photograph!

Anyway, I was sure I would have to throw her away when I found her in that oily state 
and I am delighted and thrilled that I did not have to do that. 
And look...she's back  just in time for the holidays:

I'll be taking Wednesday through Sunday off this week for Thanksgiving.  
I will be having fun with my family and decking the halls for Christmas!
Have a great Holiday and I'll see you on Monday!

2 comments:

  1. i had this happen with my first secrist, so they sent a second. i did the same procedure but with 100%. after a year or two, the oil came back just as bad, so im glad i didnt sell that baby. the second baby that they sent me never has turned oily and i have yet to reborn her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I need to update when I have Tika back again in the nursery (we moved and I am having a doll house made for my collection so they are all in storage right now) because her oil has returned. I am just so sad about this. I will decide what to do with her when I am organized again.

      Delete