Thursday, November 1, 2012

Finished first test baby, started baby #2

The first test baby is painted!  

For this baby, I did many, many layers of colors~using different colors than I have in the past.  I usually don't use purple as a full layer nor have I used a basic flesh layer in the past.  I am pleased with the results. 



For this first baby, not only did I use the pre-mixed colors, but I also combined some of the pre-mixed colors to create new colors and also added some of the basic colors to the pre-mixed colors to create new colors.  I was going to try to just use the pre-mixed colors but, well, my artist drive got the best of me. 

I would not consider this baby to be a Master Artist Series baby as I did not prep her with Genesis Matte Varnish, nor did I texturize her brows and nail beds with Genesis product, but she is more painted than my Simple Treasures Series babies.  I plan on rooting hair on her but I might change my mind.  I am debating and torn between painting her hair and rooting Thomas, and vice verse.  I need to paint hair on one of them to see how the paints work for painted hair and I need to root one to see how the paint holds up to rooting.  I don't want to overwhelm the new reborner, and fear I might do that if I paint hair on Thomas.  See his write up below and you will understand where I am coming from.  Any thoughts on this?

Due to shine that has developed on Ashleigh, I think I will coat her with the Folk Art Glass and Tile Medium that Angie's Lil Dumplin's has tested.  But as Angie has pointed out, with air dry paints, you need to make sure the paints are well cured or the medium can lift the paints off the vinyl during application.  
So I'll let her cure until next week.  Stephanie Sullivan tells me that her doll cured within 24 hours~which is a huge time difference over LDC paints which take 2 weeks to fully cure.  


 Lot's of tone on this baby!

 And beautiful details.  I like the Art and Reborn colors very much!
 Ashleigh will be available for adoption when she is complete.


Now, onto test baby #2!

Who does not love a Huti Baby?!?!?!?  




Sweet Thomas Huti will be test baby #2, but for him, I have the brand new reborner in mind as I work with these paints.  I think that was my goal at one point with the first baby but I got off track!  LOL

With Thomas, I am using the pre-mixed colors and have added one step of blending two of the pre-mixed colors together.  

I am keeping things super simple and am doing a photo log as I work to post later so that the brand new reborner has a guide to follow using the Art and Magic Water Borne paints. 

So far, I have painted 2 texture/tone layers, creases, lips and nails.  (I've not tipped the nails yet, just colored them.) 

Today I will finish him up with blush, undertones, veins, brows, tips and a final texture/tone layer.
I find that brand new reborners can't visualize the finished baby with the many, many layers that it takes to create a Master Artist Baby and they get frustrated.  Thomas is looking lovely and I think this method will encourage the new artist to learn easier and stretch beyond the basics as soon as she feels comfortable.  And the newbie will have a beautifully painted doll in just two days....maybe even one since I took time to finish up Ashleigh yesterday before I started on him. 




 Ohhhh...I SO love Huti babies!!!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment