Tuesday, September 20, 2011

It's been an emotional 9 days!


I wasn't going to mention the events over the last two days here on my blog as they are not dolly related, but I decided it best to inform my followers simply because I am sure I will probably say a few things over the next many months that will need some kind of introduction.

As if the death of our precious friend and the 10th anniversary of 9/11 weren't enough, our family has had another emotional event added to the emotional pile.

My oldest step-daughter tells the story best on her

~Blog Post~

I will add that we are a military family so these wounds run deeper than the wounds on my step-sons face. Our hearts are broken. What happened that night was so odd, but as my step-son says in his comment on that Blog Post, the soldier who hit him had an added demon of alcohol to fuel him. We are praying that THAT demon was the worse one that he has and that the other demons that seem to ail him can be healed. We are not as angry at him as we are hurting for him.

I am a slow processor of events so I'll be processing this for a while. In the mean time, I'll be processing many different foods in my Vitamix so that I can feed my son! He was only here for a short visit but it looks like he will be staying for a while. His recovery will take about 6 months for the jaw to heal and new teeth to be built. Right now, he is on a liquid diet. They are trying to get me to try to blend up pizza but I just don't think that will work! LOL

When he called from the emergency room that night and told me over the phone "yah, he knocked out two of my teeth" my first thought was "OH NO! Not the teeth! Bones can heal but teeth don't come back!" Well they will come back~they just won't be real.

The lost teeth are not the greater issue in his mouth. Upon preliminary evaluations, it is highly possible that the upper jaw in the center of his mouth is fractured in 3 places. One fracture is surrounding one of the teeth that did not get knocked out. The tooth is solid in it's roots but the bone around it appears to be broken. There is another tooth that probably won't live as well. That will make all 4 teeth in the front, top jaw damaged or gone. Those were three hard, direct hits. I have to give credit to the intoxicated mans ability to be so direct! The lower jaw is fine as is the nose. The lower lip has 3 stitches but it's already healing up nicely.

A trip to the city today to visit the oral surgeon will tell us much more about the fractures and the recovery plan. They did not have proper equipment here in our little city to get the Xrays that are needed.

So....my dolly work has been a bit strained but I'm still trying!




No comments:

Post a Comment