Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Blowing bubbles...spit bubbles that is!

Spit bubbles are the hottest thing on the market right now~giggle giggle~and not quite so easy to make!

My favorite way to make them is to shake up a FRESH bottle of Alene's Paper Glaze (found at Michael's or online), untwist and remove the cap and let it rest elevated. Bubbles will form inside the cap. (for the sake of photography, I shook the bottle, poured some in a dish and used my syringe to create more bubbles)



I dampen a small, flat paintbrush and insert it under a bubble that I choose for the specific place in the dolls mouth. I gently scoop up the bubble and gently slide the paint brush to the selected area of placement. Using a toothpick, I help the bubble off every so gently. The most I put on at a time are two bigger bubbles or a brush full of teeny bubbles. Rinse the paint brush often in hot water and damp dry on a lint free cloth. Keep applying bubbles until you are happy with the results. Let the head rest in an undisturbed place free of movement and wind. Make sure the head is angled so that the bubbles won't slide where you don't want them. Let this dry for the remainder of the day or night. Replace any bubbles that popped (does not happen often to me at all) or add more bubbles if needed when drying is complete.



The second way to do bubbles is with an insulin syringe. Using a small, damp brush, apply some Alene's Paper Glaze into the selected area of the mouth of the doll. VERY slowly and gently, inject air into the glaze forming bubbles. When you have achieved the amount of bubbles you desire, allow them to dry as listed above. Keep the syringe cleaned off in hot water and a lint free cloth.




I have just begun using the syringe method and I need more practice and skill. If anyone has any great ideas to add to this method~or any others, please post a comment and help us all out. :)

As mentioned yesterday, I am offering a free 31 gauge syringe with the purchase of mohair from my ArtFire store~link is at the bottom of the blog.

Have a great Wednesday!

Debbie

14 comments:

  1. I still can't get the hang of the syringe Debbie lolol..

    My method is..take a broken rooting needle & put some paper glaze on an old plate or something & whip the paperglaze with the needle til you get some bubbles....then..use an exacto knife & carefully place bubbles where you want. Heck..its bootleg, but works for me lolol

    ReplyDelete
  2. mMy bubbles keep breaking as it drys.
    Does anyone else have this problem? and what can be done. I really want bubbles! THANKS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope@Hopes Heavenly CreationsAugust 2, 2013 at 5:37 PM

      you can put some paper glaze on your babys mouth using a needle or toothpick then dip the needle or toothpick in glass beads that are used for filling your reborn and put them on the mouth where the paper glaze is and you have un breakable bubbles look at this video

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iovYHqI7wxY

      Delete
  3. Yes, Anonymous, bubbles can break during drying.
    To help prevent them, lay the head in a completely draft free area and set the head so that the bubbles will dry in the position that you want them. For example, if the bubble is to be at the back of the throat, lay the head flat down so that the bubble will not slide or move. If on the lip, angle the head so that, again, the bubble will not slide or move. Leave the bubbles to dry for a full day before picking up the head again.
    Good luck!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. well i give up on using the so called spit bubble maker.i used the plastic pump attatchment and all the pumping air in the world didnt give me any bubbles that last any more than a few seconds,i ended up splashing some onto the area below the nose above the lip which i didnt notice until next day in a certain light and then had to put the doll complete with hair which i had to cover with a wet sock into the halogen oven,cover the eyes with wet tissue to enable me to peel it off again. the good old fashion eileens tears in a bottle with small glass beads method works better.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Sue, I am so sorry that the bubble blower has not worked for you. I bought one of those too but have not used it yet. I am concerned about getting it clean for the next use. With the diabetic syringes, I can rinse them out many times before they become un-usable.
    You can also "stipple" bubbles using your paintbrush. Just put some gloss into the area you want bubbles and stipple/pounce the brush to form bubbles. These are tiny bubbles though, not the bigger ones.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I received a Beautiful Reborn Baby doll of Ebay and her Spit bubbles are cracked,,can I remove them somehow or just try to create new ones myself and what would be the proper way to do this...any help will be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a difficult one to answer. Did you contact your seller to ask her guidance on the problem?
    I think I would try to create new ones as you risk removing paint if you attempt to remove the broken bubbles.
    I still find the best way is the method in this tutorial.
    Let me know how it works out for you please.
    Happy New Year!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Debbie I bought a full set of the LDC paints and the color guide and tutorials. Buy I am having problems applying the paint. I keep getting air bubbles? i have tried various sponges and dab the excess paint off but I still get this problem. I so want to use these paints to save time as the ghs piants take so long. Please help.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello!
    If the sponge or brush is too wet, air bubbles will develop. The sponge or brush must be just damp and the paint just barely applied to either. It is also very important to pounce or stipple the paint after it is applied.
    Do you feel that you have the proper amount of retarder/ultra matte gel and water?
    Anxious to hear back from you so that we can make this work for you.
    XXOO
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for your reply. I will try again. I used equal amounts of paint and retarder but no ultra matt gel. I will have to buy that. Will get back to you in due corse and once again, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Debbie, it's me again one more question, do you recommmend to give the doll a coat of GMV fisrt before you apply any paint? thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the Ultra Matte Gel best but used the retarder for years and years without problems. You only need one or the other and you can adjust it to make it "behave" for you. Did you also add water to the mix? Water is needed as well and keep your sponges just damp with both water and paint, and be sure to pounce the paint with a clean wedge.
    I prefer to have something under the paint and I like the GMV the best but have been having good results with the air dry Folk Art Glass and Tile medium. There are several posts on the blog about both. Customers like the smooth touch of the Folk Art G&T Medium, I like the super matte of the GMV.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for your advice, much appretiated. Yes I added the water so that it was not to watery and not dense but ran down the plate clear but with colour. I will have to experiment some more till I get the result I want. Thanks and regards.

    ReplyDelete