Sunday, October 11, 2009

Award winning goats provide my mohair!

This is my goat raiser, Sue, and her gorgeous award winning goat, Jill. Sue is the sole provider of fiber for TNGUN's beautiful mohair.

Sue recently took a few of her goats to the Oregon Flock and Fiber show. Jill, above, was awarded the first place honors in her class and Reserve Champion overall.

Molly is another goat that Sue owns who took First in her class and Best Fiber Overall~Wow! I do not have a picture of Molly to share but I hope to be going to Sue's next weekend to make my fall purchase selection of raw mohair, and Molly will be first on my list to view!

Also placing high on the awards was Rose, a kid goat. She took First place in a class of 12 goats. :) I do not have a picture of her either.

This is Glory! I have posted about Glory before. Glory is a yearling goat and this fall marks her fourth shearing/clipping~her first clipping as a yearling. Let me tell you about Glory's first three shearings. Glory's first kid clipping was the most amazing hair! It was silky and smooth with a thick fiber making it easy to root. It was straight which is hard to find in a kid goat. Her name matched her fiber well~Glorious! I bought all that Glory had to offer that first year, (the fall of 2008), and that hair is all gone except for a wee little bit that I saved for my own reborns.

This last spring was Glory's second clipping. I went to the farm and bought all that was available from Glory. The ends of Glory's fiber was amazing but the clipped end of the lock was very dense and almost impossible to comb through. I just could not work with her fiber. Just combing out 1/2 ounce took me about an hour. That just is not a productful use of my time. Both Sue and I were heartsick over Glory's 2nd clip fiber. We had talked and agreed that Glory should be sold and moved from the farm. But something in Sue prompted her to keep Glory anyway, and she sheared her a second time shortly after the spring shearing. The above picture is of Glory taken during the summer of 2009...she is looking good!

So, Sue took Glory to the Flock and Fiber show too! And our little Miss Glory placed 4th in her class with only a four month growth of fiber on her! The judges do look for length when placing the goats. We are so proud of Glory and thrilled that Sue had enough sense to keep her at the farm. I can't wait to see her fiber next week and hope that it is long enough to use for dolls.


Above is Memo. Memo has gorgeous fiber as well! I did not buy any of Memo's fiber in the spring as it was too short. I need to buy hair that is 5" or longer to use for doll hair. I am anxious to see Memo's fiber.


The beauty below is Spice. This picture was taken before her fall 2009 shearing. Spice has LOVELY fiber with lot's of springy curls. I currently have some of her fiber for sale on Artfire. See the link at the bottom of my blog.



And here is Lucy! Lucy is an old girl but she has produced consistent amazing fiber over her years.


I used Lucy's hair from the Spring 2009 clipping on Ari, my precious baby who has a Colliii awards nomination! Look at this gorgeous hair! It rooted well, stays put, is not fly away. looks really real and feels wonderful too!


Her is Ari's current award~


I am so very thrilled to have found Sue and her gorgeous animals way back in 2005 when I started reborning dolls. It took me about 2 years to get into the swing of processing hair for sale and although I don't have it made up all the time, I try to have some available for other artists. Processing mohair takes a lot of time and effort but the most important part of the process is the quality of the hair as it comes from the goat. I am blessed!

Be sure to check out the mohair that is listed on ArtFire! You do not need an account to purchase from ArtFire. Anyone purchasing mohair from Artfire this month will receive a "Spit Bubble" making syringe for FREE!

Have a great day!



No comments:

Post a Comment