Sunday, November 10, 2013

I fixed a problem on a DVD student's doll

Now, before you all get ready to send me your dolls with problems areas, know that I do not normally do this!  Hahahaha

But one of my DVD students had gotten to the point of utter frustration with her dolls eye brows.  

She had done them and re-done them and was ready to throw in the towel.

Upon viewing the pictures she sent to me, I thought that the doll just needed a few black strokes to the brow line to better match the dolls hair, so I told her to send the head to me as she was just too "done" to try it herself.  

When the doll head arrived, I could see there was more to the problem that I could see in the pictures and I could see why she was so upset.  
*I* was worried that I could not fix this problem:

The problem was not to the brow strokes at all, they were quite lovely!
The doll was quite lovely!  I can't remember how many dolls this DVD student had painted, but she has just begun in the last year and I am SO impressed by both her painting, rooting and attention to detail.
Awesome!

The problem was the missing paint above and below the brow and the tawny/orange/brown tint to the perimeter of the brows.

What was I going to do?!?!?!? 
I will do anything to avoid having to remove paint on dolls when I am working on them just for this reason.  This is not an easy fix for me.  I would rather strip the entire doll and start over than to fix this kind of a problem.

But, I took about a week to think about it and here is what I came up with.

Using all Art and Magic paints, I first applied two layers of a purple wash using a sponge cloth to tone down the tawny colors.

Using the same purple, I used a brush and applied stroked "lashes" to the brows (avoiding the middle of the brows) to help refine and tone down the tawny colors.

I did the same exact thing with blue:  2 layers with a sponge cloth then brush strokes into the brows themselves.

This is how she looked after those steps:

As you can see, those colors started to tone down the tawny/orange/brown tones both above and below the brow and into the brows themselves, bringing out the brown/black of the brows.

Then I did a layer of light flesh mixed withe some cream yellow and applied with a sponge cloth.

I did the same with plain cream yellow.  

I felt that those two colors were a bit warm so I changed to a light flesh mixed up pretty thick and applied that with a sponge cloth.  

THAT did the trick on the vacant spots above and below the brows.  

Then since these colors had minimized the actual brows some, I touched them up with a brush and
dark ethnic paint.  I really just re-followed the pattern that my student already had painted on.

I was SO thrilled!  I really did not think I could fix this problem but look at her now!





I have allowed her to cure for several days and this beauty will be traveling home on Tuesday  :)  


1 comment: