Thursday, February 21, 2013

Silicone painting update

 This has been an interesting journey!

So far, it has failed, but I am optimistic.

To refresh your memory, I am reborning this precious little silicone doll of mine, 
Laurel by Rita Rich Arnold:
 
She is just a tiny little thing, about 15 inches long.

I had contacted Rita and asked if she was tin-based silicone or platinum-based.  
It is very important to know which silicone the doll is made of in order to use the correct silicone and paints.

Rita was pretty sure she was tin so with the advice of my mentor, I began working on her with tin based silicones.

Where I really failed is that my mentor told me to test everything on the neck flange but feeling quite full of myself and confident, I didn't do that~I just went to work.

Now, I hadn't put any paint on her, I was doing something a bit different than the norm (my mentor said it should work) and I was trying to seal her and matte her before I began with paint.  

BAD idea!  Not the sealing of her first but the coating her entire silicone with the sealant only to find out that sometimes, the silicone I was using does not work on some tins.
Ugh.  Have you ever tried to remove sticky silicone from silicone?
I rubbed and scrubbed and stripped and washed and did it all again 3 times!  

My thinking was that she must not be tin based so with the counsel of my mentor, I did a platinum silicone test...ON THE NECK FLANGE!  LOL
That test failed and that test would always work if this were platinum silicone.

The next move is another set of silicone paints that works on both tin and platinum based.  
It's a tricky paint to work with but last night, I sat down and laid out the $133 for the new set of paints.  

I will get this...I will get this...I will get this! 

No comments:

Post a Comment