Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Silicone Sillyness!


I have four silicone babies on the table right now.  Three for the ROSE show and one to offer when she is complete.

It is very difficult to take progress pictures of the silicone dolls as they are being worked on as the lighting by the end of the day and where the parts are drying is not conducive to good photography.
I COULD take pictures of the babies somewhat assembled early in the morning before painting has begun but then they get loaded down with fuzz and hair from the clothing and blankets.  

So, we all just have to be in suspense as I continue to work.

In the meantime, I found it funny to return to my work on Sunday after a few days off to this:


I failed to empty the dish that holds odorless thinner that is used to rinse off the sponges I use as I paint.  

The remnants of the silicone left in the bowl somewhat set up leaving this super sticky goo!

It reminds me of that "toy" we had as kids.  I don't remember what it was called but you could fling it to the wall and it would stick and slowly crawl down the wall with the force of gravity helping it along.

So is this silicone "cured"?  No, not really.  There is far too much thinner in it.  This brings to point the use of air guns and silicone paint.  

To thin silicone enough for use of an air gun, there has to be a LOT of thinner added. 
That thinner inhibits the full curing and stability of the silicone.  

I am fully against the use of air guns in silicone painting.  
I want my dolls to last a very, very long time without the need for repainting, so all of my silicone dolls (and vinyl dolls for that matter) are completely painted by hand with the use of sponges and brushes.   And no odorless paint thinners! 

I sure can't wait to share these four babies! 

XXOO




No comments:

Post a Comment