Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Be VERY careful as a buyer and seller...

As the days go by, it becomes even more important to use all caution when buying or selling on the internet.
 
Recently I sold a doll on eBay.  I was paid immediately and shipped the doll to her new mommy.  She was received and is loved.  This is all good.

About 10 days later, my second highest bidder from that auction received a "Second Chance Offer" on the same doll through her email account.  This email looked VERY official and as if it came from me/my eBay ID. The offer looked official.  The only things that were off were that the seller's email address was wrong and the link to the auction/offer did not work.  The email address was NOT the one attached to my eBay ID.

Thank the Lord that my bidder had a bad feeling about the offer and contacted me directly.  This saved her from sending (a lot of!!) money to the "seller" and getting nothing in return. 

After speaking with the police and eBay I want to advise anyone who receives a "Second Chance Offer", even if it seems legitimate, to ALWAYS check for that offer in your "MY EBAY MESSAGES" as NOTHING passes from eBay without going through the messages system (this message was NOT in my bidders eBay inbox...it just went directly to her personal email account).  IN fact, take NO action on anything from eBay or Paypal unless you are logged into eBay or Paypal and go through their sites alone...not your personal email accounts.  And always contact your sellers personally, through eBay using the "contact" option, especially if you know them.  This bidder is a customer of mine whom I have met in person.  I'm SO glad she contacted me!
Personal relationships in this business are so very important (and a little piece of heaven for me  :)
 
Always trust your instincts.  They are there to protect us.  If it does not feel right, no matter how much you want something, pass it up if you cannot get proper confirmation of the transaction.

The really scary part of all of this is is that this scammer had my bidders eBay ID, what her highest bid was and what her email address was.  My bidder told me that she had used the service "Bid Napper" to try to win this doll.  We wonder if the information was gathered from that site.....

Keep on buying dollies but BE SAFE out there!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment