Monday, August 31, 2015

Matte Sealing with Baby FX and other tips

The Final Sealer mix with the Baby FX paints tend to leave the doll kit shiny/sheeny.
 
I've been working to find a way to prevent this while "sealing" the paints and I believe I have figured it out!

It is a 3 component mixture consisting of these Baby FX products:

10 drops Final Sealer
20 drops Shine Reducer 
and
a brush full of Ultra Matte


After it is stirred well, you may add more Ultra Matte if you feel the mixture is too glossy. 
You can also use a little less Final Sealer as it is the component that creates the shine.
But adjust in small measurements and be sure to have at least 5 drops of Final Sealer in the mix.
(The above mixture has worked well for me sealing the doll kit while creating a nice matte finish.)

The way to apply is it almost the same as on my video

Applying Air Dry Matte Products

Notice that I apply VERY LITTLE product to the application wedge!
This is super important because if you get too much on that wedge, the wedge will slip on the doll kit creating shine.  You can remove that shine once this layer is cured by going over it again, but who wants to repeat layers?  Just be careful not to slip.

Instead of pouncing the product on, press and hold your clean wedge against the matte sealer.  Press without slipping.

Melissa George told me that she reuses her press and hold wedges.  I tried that yesterday, saving the wedges I used from the last two dolls I matted, and I'll be darned, they work well!
You see, some of the matting agent is left behind on the wedge helping your matting process to go better.

On that note though, once your press and hold wedge begins to gain moisture from the matte sealer, change to a new wedge allowing that original wedge to dry.  You an go back to it once it is dry but I have found that moist wedges do not work as well and can slip too.

I have been told that pouncing with a dry brush works well on this mixture too.  
I have used a dry brush in the creases and that did work.

Notice on Baby FX bottle cap breakage:
Some of us have experienced the tip of the Baby FX paint bottle caps breaking.
This comes from our zeal to make sure the caps are tight so that the paints do not dry out as experienced by other Air Dry Products.

These bottles are designed to seal before the cap is on super tight.  If they are over tightened, they will break.

The good new is, on the caps that I have broken, the paint has NOT dried out!  

So, trust your bottles, and the paint, and just close the caps until they catch.

Happy Baby FX Painting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment