Monday, December 2, 2013

With a sad heart~Rio Prototype denied.

My Rio silicone prototype arrived in the nursery about 2 weeks ago.  

Upon first evaluation (Opening the bags that held the pieces), I knew right off that the silicone was not platinum silicone of any kind.  I believed it to be tin-based silicone, primarily due to the high smell and secondly to the look of it.

I did a Psycho platinum paint test and sure enough, the platinum paint did not stick or cure...at all.
A simple wipe of my thumb removed every remnant of the paint.
Platinum paint WILL NOT, WILL NOT, WILL NOT stick to tin-based silicone.

The other first thing that I noticed was that the head was not very heavy and I suspected it to be filled.

Upon communicating with Debbie Moore of Debbie's Reborn Doll Kits
I was asked to cut into the head to verify if it was filled and with what.

It was nicely filled with Styrofoam.  The company that manufactured the silicone kits for Debbie did do a nice job on that.  (This head replicated that of an Ashton Drake silicone doll's head.)

And they did a nice job on the sculpt.

They just used tin-based silicone and Debbie thought she was getting platinum with a solid head.

Well, the solid head didn't concern me that much as I could have listed my prototype as such but with that poor grade of tin-based silicone, I simply could not offer a doll to my collectors and to the public that did not meet my standards.  This silicone does not meet my standards.

I have reborned two tin-based silicone dolls before.  One was for my personal collection and one (An Ashton Drake silicone) I made available at the Down East Doll Show in June 2013.  

But those tins were a different quality and did not smell.

Even after a hot soapy (VERY SOAPY) bath and a rub down with acetone, the smell of the Rio kit would not subside.  

It's too, too bad.  I feel bad for Debbie Moore as this was her first silicone kit to offer. 

She is still offering the silicone kit and has updated her website with the new information as we know it, except she does not mention that the heads are filled.  So, if you purchase this kit, purchase it knowing that the head is not solid.  This is no big deal if you know it in advance.

I have denied doing the prototype and have sent it, cut head and all, to another silicone reborner to play around with, by Debbie Moore's approval.  The Rio prototype kit I had will not be offered as a prototype silicone doll.  

~sigh~

So onward forward.  This untied my time to work on some other silicone projects I have been anxious to get to.  :)

Have a wonderful "CYBER" Monday!  
Shop till you drop!

No comments:

Post a Comment