Friday, January 10, 2020

New kitchen coming today!

I don't remember if I had posted about my kitchen problem that happened in July of 2019.

Our refrigerator's ice maker/water dispenser leaked causing water damage to the subfloor.

We lived with this bunch of noise for about 10 days while they dried things out.  I could not allow my senior mother into the kitchen as the doorway is there where that plastic is hanging and I feared she would tumble into the hole!


They got the subfloor put back down a few days before my senior in-loves came to visit for a week.  

And this is how our floor remains until this day, January 10, 2020.
(I DID have them come back after this subfloor was put into place because I did not like the condition of the subfloor under the cabinet, which lead to removal of the cabinet that could not be salvaged.  



Upon choosing new flooring, I could not find a color that worked well with my existing cabinets and countertops.  

So...I did what any good girl would do, I changed up the colors!

I began by selecting a gorgeous wood laminate consisting of several colors of grey.  



That certainly didn't match my cabinetry so I had the cabinets painted in three shades of grey.

BEFORE:



AFTER:


As you can see, there is a cabinet missing on the far left side.  Well, since we had to have another cabinet made (there was wet subfloor under the cabinet), I decide to have a couple more cabinets made.  I'll tell about that more in a moment but first, before I could put a large pantry cabinet where I wanted, a heater duct needed moved and a chandelier needed taken out.  

I had the duct moved from the floor between this extra fridge and that large pantry cabinet...do you see it there on the floor?  You can see how it has been a thorn in my side since we moved in as I could not utilize that space to benefit our family.  I am sure it was designed as an eating nook but this family eats in the dining room and we need an extra fridge and extra storage space!
Just above that refrigerator, you can see the chandelier I had removed.  A new flush light is in it's place and I had an additional one added above the existing pantry.  


This was my plan for that space...(excuse the mess!) which included having a matching pantry and overhead built to enclose that refrigerator.  


My plan worked and it looks SO NICE!
Doors for the cabinets are being delivered today and I'll have to paint them.  The doors were not supposed to have hinges.  When you change the color of your cabinets, you should consider the color of the hinges...mine were gold!  So, I had to buy all new hinges for the entire kitchen and knew the cabinet company would not be able to match so I bought enough for the new cabinets as well.  A project can never go without problems, right?  The cabinet company drilled big holed into the doors of the cabinets for the internal hinges...which is what I did not have.  So, they had to remake the doors.  

Before paint:

After paint:


Such a smart thing to do for my family!!!  In that photo you can see the two new recessed lights in the ceiling.  

New hinges:



Now...as I said earlier...there are always problems.  The cabinet that needed replaced and another cabinet that I ordered to extend the island (seen here) needed rebuilt.  They set up too high at the base which took away 3 inches of interior hight!  



Those two cabinets are being delivered today.

As you can see, the countertop no longer works so also today is brand spanking new white quartz countertops!!!  And while I'm at it, a new white UNDERMOUNT quartz composite sink :)

My plumber son came over last night to disconnect and remove the current cast iron/porcelain sink.
It is currently in the back yard.  I will set up a station outside this spring for washing my garden veggies.  




A new sink needs a new faucet so I've got one!  
And a new disposer will be installed as well.  
AND...I had the kitchen window replaced as it leaked every time it rained.  

Whew...progress!  But it has been a long journey!

The new laminate flooring has arrived and is in the house to acclimate.  
Now, I COULD have had it installed next week but, I have a lot going on (trying to get Finn done, photographed, video'd and sent home to his mommy so I can start Faye's hair) plus I am leaving next Friday for the Portland Doll Show...Lord and snow storm willing!


The flooring will be installed on January 24th, 7 months, 16 days since the subfloor was taken up.  

I have a little painting to do, OH!  I also painted all of the walls and ceiling a better white.  The old white had a pink hue to it.  

THIS is an exciting day!!  

And I am tired!  LOL

Tuesday January 14:

I am still tired...very, very tired, and there is some tweaking left to do in the kitchen but here is how it is looking so far!

This was right after the guys left:


We had to wait 24 hours before the faucet was put back in as well as the plumbing hooked back up.
Obviously we don't have backsplash yet and of course the floor is yet to come.  

I had a thought how to put a quick fix to the backsplash though.  I was concerned about getting water onto the exposed dry wall so I went to the Dollar Tree (where everything is a dollar!) and bought two rolls of their brand of "contact" shelving paper.  I cut it to fit and walla:


With the faucet in and plumbing attached, we are back up to functioning!


Isn't that a gorgeous quick fix??  

We like the colors in this contact paper very much and are considering glass tiles in the same tones.  

Many weeks after the countertops and sink/faucet were installed, the flooring arrived!
It is GORGEOUS!!

BEFORE:


AFTER:


BEFORE:



After:





Love, love, LOVE it!  

Last two items to be done are the backsplash (it is ordered) and having the pantry doors painted and installed.  That project starts March 21.  Getting so close now!



XXOO











No comments:

Post a Comment