Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Decompressing/reminiscing from the doll show

I am a person who is slow to react/respond. I need time to mull things through and let reality hit me so my comments and reactions right after an event never show my feelings and appreciation of that event. So let me decompress~

I've been to the Portland show twice now and this year, more than last, the reactions of people to reborn dolls was outstanding. You see, reborn dolls are still a very "new" thing here in the Western United States. Especially in the North West.

I LOVE watching the faces of people as they approach my table of reborns! They stop dead in their tracks and the chin drops down. They gawk at the realness of the babies and tell me that they thought they were real and should be put in the crib instead of laid on a table! (I AM working on that type of display for the future~I don't want to be charged with child abuse! LOL) Some people are moved to tears...which almost always makes my teary too! And some people are filled with disgust. Seriously. I am not sure exactly what they are thinking but I think there were about 5 people at this show that upon seeing the reborns turned their heads away mouthing words that were not positive and putting their hands in a "push-away" fashion as if to say, "get those away from me...how disgusting!". I've never understood that until this show....well at least this is my rationalization of this reaction: Dolls have been around for centuries...well, forever it seems and they have always been "dolls". Dolls are dolls and we accept them as dolls in all their dolly flair. Then along come these dolls that don't look like dolls. They look like little people. That could very well be shocking to many...especially those who just appreciated dolls being, well....dolls. For those of us who always dreamed our dolls were not so "dolly" but more "real", this is a dream come true. I can understand both views and appreciate both as well.

Speaking of appreciation, I never verbally speak enough appreciation to those amazing friends of mine who are always by my side to help and serve.

Becky....God bless you for traveling with me to every show I've had. Thank you for giving of your time, resources and muscle power to make sure that my shows are successful. Your generosity and creativity can never be repaid. Thank you for being my Ironing Queen (I HATE ironing and Becky always irons the dolls outfits that need it~and she's even done stitching alterations before too!), my food and coffee runner and my friend. Thank you for always having your home so welcoming for the nights that we spend there before/after a show. And thank you for spoiling me rotten!

Heather, you are amazing as well! Thank you for your help with set up and take down and for the wonderful and healthy lunch you brought us! You are always encouraging and inspiring. I appreciate how your innovative spirit never dwindles. Your curiosity of all things dolly and art always encourage me to new things as I do not have time to reflect like you do in those realms. And you look smashing Girlfriend! (Heather surprised me with a 100 pound weight loss since the last time I saw her! WAY TO GO HEATHER!)

Saying I am blessed with these friends is SUCH and understatement!

Trotting off now in humble and overwhelming appreciation.....


No comments:

Post a Comment